Friday, December 01, 2006

To work or not to work: that is the question: (What's the answer?)

I am sitting in my classroom right now. I probably should be conferencing with a few students right now as they read independently at their desks - but I don't feel like it!

As I look around the room I see the back of a girl's head. She is chatting with the boy behind her. Another girl has been reading the back of her book (maybe 2 paragraphs) for 10 minutes. The boy sitting right in front of my desk myst think I am a moron...because he's colouring. I don't have the energy to deal with the talking, but I just told the 'colouring' boy to stop "or I will tear it to shreds".

I am also being driven crazy by the staff members who want to pick the names for Secret Santa. I am not sure what these people did for the holidays before the Jewish lady came to town! Some one please explain to me why I am the one (along with one other lady who had to have a fire lit under her ass this week to get things rolling) who planned the CHRISTMAS Dinner (made the invitations, booked the hall, decided on the menu, bought the prizes...) and gathered names for the "Secret Santa Gift Exchange" and "Kris Kringling". AND G-d forbid they change the name of our school's CHRISTMAS Concert to something more inclusive - how about Kwanzmasukah?! I am ot the only one who does not celebrate Christmas - a number of students do not celebrate Christmas either.

Wow! All my students are reading now! Hmmm...amazing!

Anyhow, sorry for the rant, I woke up this morning with a cold, Tom's staff party is tonight, I have tons of work to mark, and I have many assignments to complete for my course.

Update: Parent-teacher interviews went very well! Much better than expected! I had all 'evidence' I needed with me to back up everything I wrote in the report cards, and didn't need to pull anything out. I even had 14 out of 21 parents show up! (Believe me, those are excellent numbers!)

9 Comments:

At Saturday, December 02, 2006 7:12:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go sweet pea! That is a pretty successful turn out! Guess what? Its December now. That means January is just around the corner and then its Spring and the SUMMER! We're almost done.

Kind of.

 
At Saturday, December 02, 2006 4:25:00 p.m., Blogger Arctic Fox said...

Kind of!

September and October were the slowest months ever, but November flew by, so there is hope afterall!

 
At Sunday, December 03, 2006 1:40:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

where did my comment go that I wrote...did you get rid of it?

 
At Sunday, December 03, 2006 3:21:00 p.m., Blogger Arctic Fox said...

There was no comment from you.

 
At Monday, December 04, 2006 7:04:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

DANG...MUST HAVE NOT SUBMITTED IT...(The mind is going I guess)

I had said that it sounds like you need a holiday...which actually is right around the corner....

You work hard and are stressed out...but you're doing a good so be proud of yourself.

As far as setting up things and arranging for events....there's always one that does it, while the others enjoy it...Lucky they have you to arrange things for them.

Love ya my sweet girl.
Mom

 
At Tuesday, December 05, 2006 6:46:00 p.m., Blogger Airam said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog!

Congratulations on the successful parent-teacher interviews ... mine are next week so I'm REALLY (not) looking forward to that!

PS - You're so lucky you can write on your blog in class ...

 
At Tuesday, December 05, 2006 10:24:00 p.m., Blogger Arctic Fox said...

Believe me...this was the only time I have ever done that. I could have been doing any number if things while the kids were reading (clean/find my desk, mark papers, plan for the next day/week, etc...), but I really should have been conferencing with a few of them...I just had no desire that day!

I am soooo looking forward to Kwanzmasuhah!

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 9:54:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every few weeks I go into your blog to
check out the latest update on life in northern Canada. As I write this letter we are having a heavy snow fall here in Lindsay. Those Fleming students are all smiles while the only thing I can think of is shovelling out the driveway. Uuuggghhh!!!! Love the updates though. Life is busy here in Lindsay. Students looking forward to one more week before they celebrate having time off to do whatever.

 
At Friday, December 08, 2006 7:29:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robyn, you are an amazing person, a wonderful human being and I look forward to the day when you live closer to home so that I can spend some quality time with you and Tom. ( maybe fishing ).
Love you guys

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter