Thursday, May 10, 2007

I'm Back...with Pictures


It's been a while and I am sorry! I have been incredibly busy finishing up yet another course and going on overnight field trips to the PINGOs in Tuktoyaktuk and to our school tent site for a trapping session.

Here are some pics of what we have been up to...

This is from my class trip to see the pingos in Tuk. I am standing at the top of a pingo in this picture. It was especially difficult to climb to the top with my bronchitis/asthma-related illness. Thank goodness I brought a Crazy Carpet up with me!
We spelled out the word PINGO with our bodies. I am the part of the G that differentiates this word from what would otherwise be the word 'pinco'.
In an authentic igloo on the shore of the Arctic Ocean.

Along the road on the way home from Tuk. I love the view along the Ice Road.

The snow is finally beginning to melt!


We went to Aklavik for a few hours with some friends. Their Jamboree was going on so we had some food and met up with this snow fellow.

Aklavik is also the site of burial for the Mad Trapper. For more information on this story, read The Mad Trapper of Rat River: A True Story of Canada's Biggest Manhunt by Dick North

View of the Richardson Mountains up close. (We can see these from Inuvik)


Along the route home from our day trip to Aklavik I decided to explore the deep snow with my 'nephew' - Sir Gunther Snowdrift (I just call him Gunther!)

Feel free to come up for a visit and we'll take you on a tour! I have to admit that I love the geography of the North!



2 Comments:

At Friday, May 11, 2007 11:45:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea, I'm first again. Robyn, my sweetpea, I love the pictures up there. Its nice to know you are back in the blog business. Hoping to see you and Tom soon.
Love DAD

 
At Friday, May 11, 2007 6:50:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scenery is absolutely magnificent...
I've been thinking and thinking and jut may have finally come to a conclusion...perhaps next year, if you're still up there....(although I would much rather have you closer),,,,but maybe, just maybe, I'll venture up to visit..

Of course you'll have to rent me some snow shoes to get around, or better yet, perhaps that magic carpet...to pull me around...

Robyn, you're so very lucky to have had the opportunity to experience this adventure....one day you'll have so many stories to share with your children and grandchildren....so very unlike your mother who really hasn't done much yet...

I wish I would have done what you're doing ... there's so many interesting places to visit and you're lucky to be doing that...

And by the way, I would have been first because I went in very early but for some reason I couldn't do anything in your blog from work...our system was so screwy today...

I love you both so much and can't wait to see you...

Love you
MOM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter